Robert Whitworth’s South West Prospect was published about 1734. It is the second prospect of Manchester, Samuel and Nathaniel Buck having produced a version in 1728.
Above: A view of the south of the city centre
Whitworth, a printer and bookseller opposite the Exchange in Manchester, dedicated the work to lady Ann Bland, founder of St Ann’s church. His copper plates, engraved by J. Harris, have survived. The prospect, which measures 49 by 16 inches, was too large for a single press and was produced from two separate plates, the prints being joined at the middle.
Above: The Cathedral with Chetham’s on the left.
See the whole South West Prospect in more detail on the image below: