Chetham’s Library is the oldest public library in the English speaking world, based in buildings dating to 1421, providing a free library since 1655, and still open to readers and visitors, with a growing events programme celebrating the collections and historic connections with Marx, Engels and other notable visitors.
- In your role as Chetham’s Librarian you will be responsible for the Library which is an archival repository, rare books library and museum. It is a unique position and offers exciting opportunities to build on the past, to strengthen its links with the academic community and researchers, and to work with colleagues at Chetham’s School of Music and The Stoller Hall to extend the role of the heritage site as a visitor attraction.
- You will lead the work of the Library both by undertaking strategic development, and by day-to-day management of the Library, its historic buildings and collections. The Library is Designated as of National and International Importance under the Arts Council scheme, and is an Accredited Museum.
- You will work closely with both internal and external stakeholders. Internal stakeholders include the Feoffees of Chetham’s School of Music and Hospital, the Library Committee and the Joint Principals of Chetham’s School of Music. External stakeholders include Manchester City Council, University of Manchester, other libraries and archives in the region.
- Salary starting at £48,846 – £53,432 per annum
- Benefits including free catered lunches during term time, on site gym and free tickets to concerts.
Download: Recruitment Pack
Download: Application Form
Closing date: Friday 12th January 2024 at 9am
Interviews will take place: Interviews will be held on Monday 22 January 2024
Please ensure that you download and save the application form to your computer before completing the form, as completing within your browser may result in information not being saved.
To apply, please download and complete the application form and send to email@example.com
For an informal conversation or visit, please email HR@chethams.com
Chetham’s is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children; applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service. Reg. Charity No: 526702